Relinquish Permanent Residence & Citizenship

Speak with an Old Bridge Immigration Lawyer that Cares. Serving Clients Nationwide.

A green card is a document affirming that someone is making the United States their permanent residence. If you no longer intend to make the United States your primary home, then you may want to consider relinquishing your permanent residence and citizenship. While green card holders may involuntarily lose their permanent residency by remaining outside of the United States for a certain period of time, there are also ways to voluntarily give up this status.

Do you have questions about what it takes to relinquish permanent residence and citizenship? Our compassionate Old Bridge immigration lawyer can discuss your options. Call (732) 629-8033.

How Can I Relinquish My U.S. Green Card?

If you want to relinquish your green card, you may file the Form I-407 at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate, at a U.S. port of entry (airport) or at a USCIS international field office. The filing procedures may vary slightly by location, but most locations would minimally require your passport, signed Form I-407, permanent resident card/green card and all re-entry permits and all other USCIS-issued travel documents (even if expired).

If you have relinquished your permanent residence, you cannot simply get it back. If you decide to apply for permanent residency in the future, you will need to start the process over again from the beginning.

We can walk you and your loved one through the process. We can also be reached by phone or email whenever you need us most.

Consult with the experienced immigration attorney in Old Bridge, NJ at the Law Office of Laurie Y. Wu, LLC before making any decision. Call (732) 629-8033 to discuss your options.

What to Expect When You Hire

The Law Office Of Laurie Y. Wu, LLC?
  • Nationwide Representation

    We serve clients that are located in all 50 states.

  • Excellent Client Care

    Our firm provides the level of satisfaction you deserve.

  • Urgency with Every Case

    Expect to receive our immediate attention when you need us.

  • Compassionate Advocacy

    We take a caring approach to immigration law.