Adjustment or Change of Status

Immigration lawyer for Adjustments & Changes of Status

Life moves fast and sometimes you need to act before violating your visa. This may require a change or adjustment of your status to ensure that you remain in the United States legally. Consulting with our experienced immigration lawyer at the Law Office of Laurie Y. Wu, LLC can help to reduce the amount of time, money, and stress you and your family will undertake. Our attorney is dedicated to streamlining the entire process and offering the best possible outcome for your situation.

Schedule an appointment with our compassionate legal team.
Call 1 (732) 387-3668 when you need an experienced advocate.

When Does a Status Need to Be Changed?

The smallest of life changes can alter the validity of your visa, from delaying your departure date to getting married. You may have entered the United States on non-immigrant visas such as Visitor Visas and Student Visas. You may have entered on a Visitor Visa to visit your child who is an American citizen or green card holder and during your visit, your child finds out that she is pregnant and you want to be present for the birth of your grandchild. In this scenario, you would apply file Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) and request USCIS to grant an additional six-month stay. If you do not apply to extend your non-immigrant status, then you may later be subject to the 3-year or 10-year bars if you later depart the United States and want to re-enter.

Another common scenario are students who are in the United States on a student visa, meet their life partner and decide to get married and live in the United States. Applicants who want to change their status from a non-immigrant status to an immigrant status would need to file the Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status).

Working with an immigration lawyer in Old Bridge, NJ can help find exceptions and accommodations for your unique circumstance. We are committed to providing honest advice and guidance.

Empathetic Guidance for Your Case

At the Law Office of Laurie Y. Wu, LLC, our attorney can provide the tools and resources to keep you and your family in the United States. We are engaged in every aspect of your case. Our relationships with our clients span over months and years. Knowing they have someone to turn to during this time helps to ease the anxiety related to immigration and citizenship issues. When you need to file a change or adjustment of status, work with the firm that puts you first.

Learn How We Can Help You

Call +1-732-387-3668 to discuss your options or schedule a phone appointment.

Consult with the experienced immigration attorney Laurie Y. Wu before making any decision.